My biggest update of the freaking DECADE… Plus a contest ;-)

Hmm… that’s a pretty big claim, do those two things even go together?

A huge update and contest?!

I dunno… keep reading and I guess we’ll find out together, right?!

Okay… In all seriousness, I know that the subject line is a little dramatic, and as you know I’m not a very “hypey” person…

But one thing I do try and do in my life is approaching the things I’m really passionate about what I call a “Childlike excitement”.

I’ve found it makes things fun, interesting, and inspiring….

… but let’s be honest who doesn’t like even just a little bit of drama from time to time?

I hate to admit this, but I do like watching the bachelorette even just once in a while.

LOL.

Okay, Okay…. I digress.,

Anyway, what my team and I have been working on the past few months which I’m going to tell you about in just a minute, is all those things and more.

Fun. Interesting, Inspiring, and Informative.

So let’s get right to it…

In case you didn’t get the memo… there is less than 70 days left in this decade.

That’s kinda crazy, right?

And more importantly, there are less than 70 days before a brand NEW decade is about to begin.

That’s pretty exciting, right?

Well… that’s what we’re going to focus on here.

So I ask you… 

What are you going to do in the next decade?
What are you going to create in the next decade?
Who are you going to be in the next decade?
Where are you going to go in the next decade?

And most importantly, how are you going to make it all happen and GET AHEAD?

No matter what happened for you in the past 10 years…

The wins you had, the setbacks you might have faced, we all get to start the new decade together in less than 70 days.

And with that, we all have the opportunity to create the life we want and deserve.

How To Get Ahead in the next decade

Being on my newsletter, you’ve probably noticed, I’m a big planner.

Actually, that’s an understatement… I’m a HUGE planner….

I love to plan, I love to vision the future, and then I love to figure out a way to make it all come true and happen.

It’s one of my “superpowers” and what my friends look up to me for the most.

I’m sharing this because you’ve probably noticed that over the past 4 months, I haven’t put together any offers or created any new programs.

Want to know why?

It’s because my team and I have been quietly working on putting together the biggest project of my entire life.

Literally.

Now, I’m not going to “spill all the beans” on that right now…

ahhh, I know that is a little teaser (I learned that move from the bachelorette, lol)

But I promise I’ll be sharing more with you over the next couple weeks, so stay tuned because this is going to blow you away.

Okay, okay… I can’t resist… I’m so excited about this, so here’s a little hint…

I’m gonna show you exactly how you can Get Ahead in your life and business, and set yourself up for success in the next decade.

If you’ve been following my journey… you know I’ve been more than blessed in my life to have done, achieved and experienced some amazing things.

>>> From quitting my corporate job to now having my own 100% virtual business
>>> From traveling to world-class places like New Zealand, Bali, Paris, New York, San Diego and everywhere in between
>>> To Living in my dream home across from the beach
>>> To being married for over 10 years
>>> To building a real estate portfolio of 92 rental units that cash flows like crazy
>>> To creating courses that have impacted hundreds of people around the world

…. all by the time, I was 35 years old.

It’s been such a fulfilling ride, and don’t share any of this to brag, I share this to show you what is possible.

I share this so you know what it can look like to Get Ahead in your life.

Because 15 years ago when I started my career…. I was so behind the eight ball it wasn’t funny.

You know the story…  30K in debt, living in my parents’ attic, and I couldn’t even land a telemarketing job. Ouch. It was horrible.

Despite all that, deep down always knew I had potential. I always knew I wanted more for my life.

I just didn’t know how to access it and how to really get ahead.

If you can relate to this… keep reading because I’m going to share with you a simple process, and the first step you can take to start getting ahead in your life.

Plus, I’m going to tell you about the contest I’m running to make all this fun. It’s awesome.

Anyway, back to the story…

Because I didn’t know how to Get Ahead back then,  I just looked around at what my friends were doing and tried to do the same.

By the way, that turned out to be the biggest trap everrrrrr.

I quickly learned that doing what everybody else was doing was going to lead me to a path of mediocrity.

Part of me just wanted to play “victim” and just accept that was the way things were going to be, and there was nothing I could do about it…

But Fuck that!

Opps… I’m not sure if I’m really supposed to swear on email, but going back to that place where I felt like a victim and I would be trapped in that life forever is really painful.

We’ve all been there I’m sure.

…And for me, that is when something clicked, and I decided I was going to figure this out.

I was going to figure out how to be different, and how to Get Ahead and create the life I wanted, not just life the one that was handed to me.

At the time, I didn’t know how, I just knew I didn’t want to live a mediocre, run of the mill type life.

And if you’re reading my email right now, I bet you don’t want to either. And I don’t want that for you either.

For me… I didn’t want to be stuck in the rat race, just getting by. That was like a prison sentence.

I didn’t want to have to work my entire life and put living on hold just to “save up” for retirement.

I WANTED TO GET AHEAD.

That’s why I made it my mission over 10 years ago to do something radically different from everybody else I knew at the time, and figure out how to do just that, and get ahead in life.

I knew there was away, and I was going to figure it out.

And that’s what I did.

I went to every conference… read every book…  hired every coach… joined every mastermind and possible inner circle I could…

All for one reason:

To learn the secrets, the code, the formula, the habits, whatever you want to call it that successful people use to GET AHEAD in life.

Like anything worthwhile… it took a ton of work, and a bunch of money I had to invest..

Oh, and I definitely fell flat on my face a few times…

But I figured it out.

And what I learned about how to Get Ahead in life is what I’m going to be sharing with you over the next couple weeks.

Everything I learned.

That leads me to the contest we’re going to do…

I put this contest together to make things fun along the way because quite frankly, I don’t know how to do things any other way.

So let’s go!!!

——————————–
The Get Ahead Contest
——————————–

The very first thing you have to do if you want to Get Ahead in your life or business is first to define what that looks like FOR YOU.

I see too many people wandering through life aimlessly, without having any clear direction, or knowing what they want.

That used to be me, and I don’t want it to be you.

To help you with this, I’m going to share a simplified version of a 5 step system I developed in my own life to get clarity on my dreams, desires, and goals.

I usually spend 2 full days doing this process, but I’ve broken it down into 3 hours for you to make it simple for you to get started.

I’ve been using this system for the past 10 years, and I can directly attribute 98% of my success back to this very system.

So here’s what we’re going to do…

I’m going to walk you through each of the 5 steps in a very detailed way. I want you to really “get this” because I know it’s going to set you up for success.

Then I’m going to tell you about the contest I’m putting on at the end of it.

This will make things fun and rewarding for all of us, Sound good?!

Okay, well let’s go!

Step 1:

Set aside and block out 3 hours sometime in the next week. This is probably the most important step because like I always say, “What gets scheduled gets done.”

So go do this right now.

Commit to blocking out 3 hours and put “GET AHEAD” in your planner, agenda, or online calendar – whatever you use to organize yourself and your time so you know what that time will be used for.

Abraham Lincoln has a great quote, “If I was given 6 hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend 4 hours sharpening my ax.”

I’m going to show you how to sharpen your ax during this time and 3 hours is all you need, go book it, now!

It will be one of the best decisions you make for yourself…

Step 2: 

Get your time scheduled?

Like, you actually locked it into your calendar?

Awesome!

If not… don’t keep reading… go block out that time, for gosh sakes!

And once you have the time blocked out, commit to it.

Don’t break promises to yourself, no matter what comes up. It’s not a good habit to get into…

Next, what I want you to do is think about an inspiring place you can go to when you worth through this process I’m going to show you.

The key is it has to be somewhere other than your home.

I find when we do things like this from our home, we get caught in old patterns, get easily distracted, and ultimately, can’t think big.

So think about somewhere you can go that will be inspiring and motivating, and out of the normal routine for you.

Some of my favorite places are:

>>> A spa-like setting
>>> Nice hotel lobby
>>> Funky coffee shop
>>> Rooftop patio

You get the idea 🙂

Pick one that will work for you, and then plan to go there for the time you have blocked off in the first step.

Step 3: 

Okay… so now you have a 3-hour slot blocked out and you have your epic location figured out, right?

Great work!

Next, you want to think of something rewarding for once you are done this process I’m going to show you.

The reason why is because you’ll end up spending around 90 minutes on the process I’m going to share with you.

Then as soon as that is finished, you’ll spend 90 minutes rewarding yourself with something fun, enjoyable and pleasurable.

That’s important.

Look, so many of us get conditioned at school, and then in our jobs to sit down for extended periods of time to “work” which can feel like torture, especially if you are doing something you don’t like.

What I’ve found to work really, really well is to set up little reward systems in my life right after I do something that is challenging, hard to do, or outside of my comfort zone.

For me, this makes all the difference. It’s how you can make things fun, exciting, challenging, and always have something to look forward to.

Take a minute and think about how you will reward yourself after going through this 90-minute process?

Here are a few ideas…

>>> Maybe it is a nice meal at your favorite restaurant?
>>> Maybe it is a massage or spa treatment?
>>> Maybe it is going to go for a walk in the park or a hike?
>>> Maybe it is treating yourself to a new piece of clothing?
>>> Maybe it is all of the above!!! 😉

Whatever will inspire you, make you happy, and smile 🙂

Step 4:

Great stuff… the first 3 steps are the foundation.

Now that you have those in place, it’s time to talk about what you want to do during the 90-minute block you have set aside to work on getting ahead.

Here’s how I want you to think about this:

Like Stephen Covey said in his famous book “The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People”, you want to begin with the end in mind.

So that’s what we are going to do in this step.

I’m going to show you how to get crystal clear on what success looks like for you, and in particular what it would look like for you to GET AHEAD in the next decade?

Look, here’s the unfortunate reality…

The majority of people don’t ever think about what they want to create in life, and even less people actually take the time to write down what they want.

This is madness to me.

There have been countless studies, the most famous one being one done at Yale University, which followed people who had their goals written down vs. those that didn’t.

Those people who did were much, much more successful in the long term.

Now, we aren’t going to go through an entire “goal-setting session” in these 90 minutes, not even close…

I’m going to help you get clarity on what you need to do to Get Ahead in your life.

Here’s how we’re going to do that…

Once you are at your inspiring location, make sure you have a journal and something to write with.

Also, have some sort of timer.

If you use your phone, that is fine… I recommend you put it on “airplane mode” so you don’t get distracted by any notifications.

Next, we’re going to divide the 90 minutes you have blocked for this exercise into 3 parts.

Here’s the framework to follow:

Part #1: Spend the first 30 minutes writing down what has worked well for you in your life over the past few years?

Everything from your career and business, to life, to health, to relationships.

Write down everything that comes to mind. Just free flow. Get it all out.

Part #2: Spend the next 30 minutes writing down all the things that haven’t worked for you in your life over the past few years.

Write down everything that comes to mind. Again… free flow. Get it all out.

Part #3: It will feel so good to reflect on what has worked well, and what hasn’t worked well in your life.

There is something very therapeutic about writing everything down on paper.

Once you have done both of those things, the next thing you want to do is take 30 minutes asking yourself this question:

What would it look like to get ahead in my life over the next 10 years?

Again, write down everything that comes to mind.

…with your career or business
…with your health
…with your relationships
…with your spirituality
…with your finances

Whatever getting ahead looks like to YOU write it down.

Even if what you come up with is far fetched and outlandish, write it down.

In fact those are the best things to write down 😉

One other tip, when you write things down, make them as vivid as possible. In other words,  make what you are dreaming up come to live with your words.

I do a more elaborate version of this process every year, and here is an example from what I wrote last year:

“Within a year, I will be living on a beach, where I can walk out my front door and be on the beach. I want to be able to take breaks from work and be able to walk barefoot on a beach feeling the sand between my toes and the sun on my face.”

This came true within a year.

Here’s why we do this… the brain actually can’t distinguish between something that you can vividly imagine and reality.

So the more real you can write down what getting ahead looks like to you, the more it will come true in reality.

Take this seriously.

Do you want to know how I have been able to build two different 7 figure businesses and create the life of my dreams?

All those things started as ideas written down in my journal in a process just like what I am sharing with you now.

The reality is most people aren’t willing to go through a process like this.

Don’t underestimate it. Deal? 😉

Once you are finished: 

Okay… when you have finished each of these three parts, the next thing you want to do go back through your list for each of the segments and circle the top 3 highest leverage things.

What are the 3 things from each list that will have the highest impact in your life?

Because those are the things you will want to focus on.

Once you circled the 3 highest leverage things from each part, then give yourself a pat on the back and go enjoy your fun reward.

Enjoy every minute of the reward you promised yourself.

You deserve it.

Step 5:

Okay, so now let’s talk about the 5th and final step… which is perhaps the most fun of all.

Plus this is where the contest I told you about kicks in!

I designed this contest to help support you getting ahead….

So… one of the things that has really helped me get ahead in my own life, is anytime I come up with a goal or vision for my life, I try and tell as many people about it as possible.

I’ll tell you exactly why I do this because I think it is very counter-intuitive for most people.

In fact, I find most people shy away from sharing and talking about their goals & dreams. Here are some of the most common reasons why.

Maybe you can relate to some of these?

>>> Fear of rejection. 

A lot of people don’t share their goals or dreams with somebody because they fear they will get rejected by the other person who will tell them it is not a good idea or their goal won’t happen.

>>> Not feeling good enough. 

Some of us have goals and dreams, but because we don’t think we are “good enough” we don’t feel we deserve them.

This can make it hard for us to really “own” our goals and share them with other people.

I’ve suffered from not feeling good enough at times.

>>> Fear of being judged. 

We are the people we surround ourselves with… and sometimes I’ve found that if you dream big and have lofty goals and visions for yourself that it can be hard to share them with your friends.

This is because if your goals are bigger than theirs, you might fear being judged because it could rock the boat and separate you from them.

I’ve had this happen to me in the past, and so at times, I would hold back my goals and dreams from my closest childhood friends.

>>>> Thinking somebody will steal your ideas or copy you.  

This is another big one and comes from a scarcity mindset.

Often times we avoid sharing our ideas with others because we think on some level they will take them and go make them happen themselves.

99% of the time that will never happen.

In my experience, all these reasons are tricks our silly mind will play on us.

Here’s what I’ve found to be true instead…

When you share your goals with others:

>>> It will inspire them to be and think bigger in their own life. 

All the people I was afraid to share my goals with because I thought they would judge me, actually thanked me for inspiring them to think bigger. This felt so good.

Those that will judge you, or try and bring you down, you might want to reconsider how much time you spend with them, Just sayin’ 😉

>>> The minute you publicly declare your goals and dreams, it is like having an “accountability partner” X 10. 

No joke… Not only do you put yourself in a position where quite frankly you don’t want to look like an idiot…

But something else magical happens where just like when you can vividly imagine something it becomes reality…

The minute you start declaring your goals to yourself and others, you develop a deeper and deeper belief in not only yourself but also your goals.

This builds incredible confidence, and over time you start acting with certainty that they are going to happen.

So here’s what I’m going to do to help you make it easy to own and declare your goals and dreams…

———————————-
The Get Ahead Contest
———————————-

I want to set you up for success and get you into building all these habits into your own life right away.

Because that’s how you will Get Ahead.

So here’s what we are going to do…

As soon as you have the three things that Getting Ahead looks like for you, shoot a quick 1-2 sharing what they are.

Once you shoot the video, send it to me in an email.

A video you say?!

YES!!!!!

If that is outside of your comfort zone, which I know it might be… even better!

If you truly want to Get Ahead in your life, you’re going to have to get outside of your comfort zone from time to time.

This is a great chance to practice that 😉

So grab your smartphone or your friend’s smartphone if you don’t have one and shoot a quick video saying what Getting Ahead Looks like for you.

Then reply to this email with your video.

I can’t wait to see it!!!

When you do that, I’m going to enter you into a contest to win some prizes.

As I said, let’s make this fun and inspiring, right?

The Grand Prize is going to be a flight anywhere in North America.  (If you win and you are based outside of North America, we’ll have to work out something else.)

Then I’ll have some other prizes which will be scholarships to some of our awesome digital programs.

All the winners will be chosen randomly within the next month, so get your video in now to qualify.

————————————-
Here’s why I’m doing this
————————————-

I personally do everything I teach.

I live, breathe and eat this stuff.

I’m obsessed with Getting Ahead, and teaching others how to do the same.

And one of the things that have been a big game-changer for me to Get Ahead is getting around other like-minded badasses who all inspire each other.

And I want the same for you.

I want you to be able to see the power of being around other like-minded people who will raise you up, not drag you down.

My team and I are going to take all the videos we get from this exercise, and put them up on a website so that we can get inspired by each other.

This way we can Get Ahead TOGETHER.

Not only will declaring what getting ahead looks like in your life publically help you out, but it will also help outers out because it will inspire them seeing other people’s responses.

Everybody wins.

Okay… well, what are you waiting for?!

As I said, the new decade is less than 70 days away!!! Let’s get to it.

If you haven’t already, go block out that 3 hours so you can get this done, and then send me your Get Ahead video as soon as you can.

Let’s set ourselves up to have the best decade of our life.

You don’t want to wait until January to do all this, do you?

Of course not!

One more quick thing…  all the responses will come to me directly and I’m going to watch every single one.

This stuff fires me up!

Then I’ll make sure my team figures out a way to put them on our Get Ahead website. I’ll keep you posted.

I can’t wait to see what you come up with!!

That’s it for now…

More awesome stuff coming soon!!!

-James

3 Comments

Mo Kapur

Hey James, you have the free Real Estate Investing Masterclass advertised on this blog but the link says it has expired. Do you have a recording of it that you can please share? Thank you.
Mo

Reply
Mo Kapur

Thanks for the link, James. I am looking forward to seeing the launch of the offer. Let me know if you need any Beta testers or guinea pigs (so to speak… lol)
Best,
Mo

Reply

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *